Established and chartered in 1955, Martha’s Vineyard Savings Bank is the last mutual savings bank created in Massachusetts. However, the Bank traces its financial roots back to 1909 when a group of people dedicated to the Island introduced co-operative banking to Martha’s Vineyard.
The Bank expanded cautiously during the great depression and the war years, thus escaping the impact of the recessions that followed. In the 1950s the Bank introduced children to banking by offering school based savings programs and a branch lobby window dedicated to children’s transactions to help teach the value of saving money. Since then several thousand children have been introduced to banking through this successful program.
Early in the 1990s the Bank began offering trust and investment management services to restore local trust services to the area. Late in 2009 the Bank opened a branch office in Woods Hole, Massachusetts to bring back local banking to that area and expand services to people traveling to and from the Vineyard. Today, the Bank serves customers from 9 branch locations and a trust and investment office, with attractive deposit and lending programs and the ability to bank at any time, day or night.
Since its beginnings, the Bank has had a deep rooted belief that it takes a local commitment to help a community stay strong. Everyone involved with creating and delivering Martha's Vineyard Savings Bank to its communities knows firsthand how important community banking is to maintaining a sustainable economy.